29 January 2017

La la land meets reality

Serendipitously, I watched two movies last week that happened to be a practically perfect contrasting pair- La La Land (2016) and Reality Bites (1994).



Both of the films were very aesthetically pleasing- La La Land was all bright primary colours and neon lights, Reality Bites was kinda.. grungy, but in a warm and comfortable way.

Now, I'm sure most people have seen La La Land by now, but I'll just do a quick recap for the sake of comparison. Basically, two passionate creatives fall in love and ultimately help each other on their way to eventually achieving their dreams- but they ultimately chose their careers over their relationship. Reality Bites is again, about two creative people... except they eventually decide that their aspirations aren't as important as being together and the only really need each other to be happy.

Perhaps the contrast between the films is a bit of a reflection of the cynical attitude of the 90's and this current era where it seems possible that anyone (thanks to social media) can achieve their dreams... But that all doesn't really matter to me. What I found surprising was that neither of the films ended in a very satisfying way.

Maybe it was just that, in La La Land, Seb and Mia's relationship seemed more tangible than their apparent enthusiasm for their creative ventures- but the fact that they were no longer together seemed to make their eventual professional success bittersweet. But Reality Bites was equally unfulfilling- What about Lelaina's film making? Or Troy's music? How can they possibly be happy replacing their unfulfilled creative dreams with love for each other?

I'd like to think the films are too simplistic, that I can have my soul mate and my art... but maybe there's a bit of truth to the suggestion that no one can every really have it all.

I'm too young to know.

xx

2 comments:

  1. Interesting insights! I felt the same about La La Land- so bittersweet. I'll have to look into the other film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think it's worth a watch, but then I'm a bit of a sucker for anything with young Winona Ryder

      Delete