26 March 2017

Girl cooties

My primary school was pretty rad- the girls could choose between two uniforms. There was this neat little dress that looked really cute on me or a blouse and culottes.



Looking back on my experience, I wish I'd had the guts to just wear the dress I liked so much- but there was a bit of a rule that only wimpy girls wore dresses- after all, how could you kick ass if everyone could see your knickers?

Slowly, this ideology began to seep into my wardrobe at home too. I stopped wearing skirts and avoided everything pink. I don't think school was the only place sending me the "girly is weak" message either. Cartoons and books were full of shallow, whiny girls who only cared about their clothes and couldn't do anything useful (think Muffy from Arthur- or Anne in Famous Five).

I wasn't until I discovered blogging and instagram, that I really began to realise clothes were a form of self expression. Yes, caring how you look is superficial, but even trying your hardest to look like you don't care is a style statement. No one can tell you that certain clothes make you a sook, if looking feminine makes you feel confident, there's nothing weak about that.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment